Thursday, March 25, 2010
Truth and Creative Lies
A big thank you to Robin of Your Daily Dose and Ellen of Weighting Around for awarding me the Creative Blogger Award. So here are my creative statements - true or false?
1) Despite being one of seven sisters, our home life was pretty tranquil, with little fighting.
2) My first husband was also one of seven children.
3) I'm famous at my kids' school for my cupcakes but they're just made from the Pillsbury white cake mix out of the box.
4) It took me five and one-half years to get my bachelor's degree due to switching universities, bad grades and changing majors.
5) When my two sisters-in-law come to town, we spend all of our time shopping at Barney's.
6) My ex-husband and I remain good friends to this day.
7) Math comes easily to me, that's why my undergraduate degree is in Applied Mathematics.
And, because who likes to wait?, here are the anwers:
1) False. If only there had been Wrestling Mania back then, we could have gone in the ring.
2) False. Ex-husband was an only child. You know, a coveted only child, not one of a litter of children, overlooked, like me.
3) True. I don't know why the hell everyone loves those stupid cupcakes so much. I keep telling them, "THEY'RE JUST MADE OUT OF WHITE CAKE MIX!" but it's like people have to believe it's something exotic. If it's me + cooking it cannot equal exotic.
4) True. (Does it help that I got my master's in two years with distinction?) Started in one major at one university, and couldn't stand it when I got out of the 101 courses. Then I transferred to another university (am I beginning to sound like Sarah Palin?) at which time I found out, much to my shock, that Ds don't transfer. Then chose another major and received my BA five and a half years after I started.
5) False. More like they go to Kohl's and I stay home and watch the kids.
6) False. Last time ex-husband seen by me (I don't rule out that he's been stalking me over the years): 1992, I was meeting some girlfriends for lunch at a restaurant right after I got engaged to Husband when who walks in? Ex-husband. He was a little surprised to see an engagement ring on my finger, especially in light of his dire predictions for my future love life if I went through with the divorce.
7) False. I was once offered a C by my Algebra teacher in high school if I would just come to class and sit in a chair like an amoeba. He understood that when I expected numbers but instead saw Xs and Ys, part of my brain shut down.
And I, in turn, am passing this award on to:
The Kitchen Witch
Jennifer at Chaos Wrapped in Chocolate-Covered Grins
Maureen at Island Roar
Karen at Waisting Time
The Absence of Alternatives
Was I the only one on a five-and-a-half-year plan for college? Anyone been stalked by an ex-husband/boyfriend in a benign kind of way? Fought much as kids growing up? Are you famous for cooking/baking something that you get out of a box?